Mt Batulao DIY Climb Guide
This 811-meter-above-sea-level mountain with 4/9 difficulty, situated in a convenient location with easy access from Metro Manila is, indeed, a fitting destination for those seeking for a quick adventure fix. It features well-established trails, majestic rolling hills, remarkable views, and picture-perfect landscapes.
Mt. Batulao has open paths throughout and it offers two major trails – the “Old Trail” and the “New Trail”. The sun, even when it’s up and high on all its glory, will not hurt that much as the mountain breeze will soothe your skin and pacify your soul. Hikers will be treated with beautiful scenes while shedding extra pounds especially on the tough segments of the climb.
How to Get to Batulao & Projected Expenses
Mt Batulao is situated in Nasugbu, Batangas, roughly 3 hours away from Metron Manila.
By Public Transportation
- Take a bus from Buendia or Coastal Mall bound for Nasugbu, Batangas (Around 2-3 hours. Php100 – Php120 per way per person)
- Get off at Evercrest, the jump-off point. From there, you can either ride a tricycle until the trail head (Php25 per way per person. If you’re in a group of 3-4 persons; Php100 is their minimum rental fare) or you may opt to start trekking (FREE).
By Private Transportation
- From Manila, go to Tagaytay via SLEX (take Sta. Rosa or Mamplasan-LIIP or Greenfield exits and follow through) then proceed via the Tagaytay-Nasugbu Road. Make a right turn upon reaching the Tagaytay Rotonda, follow through until you reach Evercrest. Go past the gate.
- You can park on the ‘parking spaces’ that locals have created for Php50 – Php100 per day. You can also continue driving (take the right, downward road) and randomly park somewhere there. Ask locals to look after your car.
Guide fee (optional) is Php300 good for 4 persons.
Registration Fee is Php20 per person for every trail (Php40 per person if you will pass by both trails – old and new.)
Camping Fee is Php30 per person.
From the jump-off point the climb is 2-3 hours to summit and it usually takes 1.5-2 hours to go down in a normal pacing.
0500 Departure from Manila to Nasugbu, Batangas
0700 Breakfast at somewhere in Tagaytay
0730 Arrival at Evercrest. Prepare for the trek.
0800 Start trek
0900 Arrival at fork where you will decide which trail (Old or New) to take.
1100 Summit (Lunch)
12NN Start Descent (you can opt to do a back-trail trek or continue trekking via the another trail)
1500 Back at Evercrest. Fix thyself and prepare to go home. (If you plan to drop by Tagaytay area jeepney ride costs P30 / pax)
1900 Back in Metro Manila.
Climb Tips for Mt. Batulao
- Trails on the first segment runs along a community. Mostly are just gradual descent. Just continue trekking up until you reach the ridge.
- The jagged ridge (the popular feature of Mt Batulao) is exposed to sunlight so make sure to bring protection from the scorching heat. It also has a series of steep climbs, so be very careful on these parts.
- Both New Trail and Old Trail have campsites. Stores are available but items they sell are expensive.
- No water source available. Bring enough to keep you hydrated.
- For affordable climb package to Mount Batulao, contact Sole Adventours.
- Be part of Love Eat Wander Facebook community and be connected with thousands of like-minded individuals. Share your climb and travel stories with through Tweets and Instagram photos. Please follow @loveeatwander.
See our other Mt Batulao photos here.
Happy climbing! Be safe.
Interesting Facts about Mt Batulao
In February 2012, a 27-year-old restaurant manager (also a first-time hiker) died after falling from Peak 8 of the New Trail. Be very careful and be properly oriented. Never underestimate a mountain, not even if it’s just several hundred meters tall.
Our Plate of Unsolicited Thoughts
Being one of the most popular hiking destinations near Metro Manila, Mt Batulao continuously battles possible exploitation from hundreds of hikers and campers. Let’s help to minimize negative effect of visitor influx to this mountain by avoiding (if possible) camping in the weekends and during peak seasons. Also, let us limit the numbers of hikers in our group. You may also consider climbing another neighboring mountain like Mt Mabilog, or do a day hike instead of overnight for lesser impact. DO NOT leave your trashes behind. Please.
Should you want to add/dispute something in this article, please leave a comment below. We would love to hear from you!